[etni] Fwd: present simple or progressive in the light of prof. Leech research

  • From: ETNI list <etni.list@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Etni <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2012 06:35:42 +0200

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Eliyahu Majewski <chanaeli@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: present simple or progressive in the light of prof. Leech research

Just one more and crucial thing I forgot to put in my previous mail:

Prof. Leech has done a lot of statistical research, based on corpus
(language usage sample, for example texts). He believes that frequency
of usage of grammatical items should determine the priorities of
language teachers. As far as verb constructions are concerned, here
are his conclusions: "(...) I want to use these bar charts to
illustrate the overwhelming dominance, in terms of frequency, of the
simple aspect, that is, the present simple, the
past simple, and the simple modal construction, over forms containing
the progressive (or continuous),
perfect, and passive constructions."

Prof. Goffrey Leech, The Role of Frequency in ELT: New Corpus Evidence
Brings a Re-appraisal.

I hope this closes the discussion.

Eliyahu Majewski