[etni] Fwd: Amen to Eleanor's post (anti-Hots posts and numbers)

  • From: ETNI list <etni.list@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Etni <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2010 14:50:29 +0300

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Esther Revivo <estherrv@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Amen to Eleanor's post (anti-Hots posts and numbers)

I agree with every word of Eleanor Zwebner's excellent post from
digest #237. To remind you of her words, these were the main points
she mentioned:

"...I wish people in power would take notice NOT  of whether or not
there are more in favor of HOTS or are against HOTS.  This isn't a
beauty pageant or a referendum...."

"...there has NEVER NEVER NEVER been an outcry of PROTEST, a refusal
of MANY teachers to implement a program.  And this outcry is being
ignored."

"So, please, stop counting.  Both sides can claim a silent majority.
There are many in favor of HOTS, sure.  BUT -- there are    many
angry, frustrated teachers against HOTS and it is not a question of
whether we are bigger or stronger or weaker and more vulnerable.  We
exist  and our concerns are being minimalized at best .  This is
demeaning and demoralizing and I would like my Inspectors and the
their superiors to recognize this and its implications."

We are not "trouble makers" causing dissent in order to be bothersome;
we are a very large group of dedicated educators who feel that the
HOTS literature program is a poorly devised program that will not
benefit our pupils in the long run. So please don't think we will just
hush up and disappear! We have the good of our pupils in mind and are
working hard to put a stop to this program before it causes
irreparable
damage especially to our weak pupils' futures in English.

Esther Revivo
Ulpanat Tzvia Sedot Negev