[etni] Fw: spreading ourselves too thin

  • From: "Ask_Etni" <ask@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ETNI" <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2009 23:23:27 +0200

----- Original Message -----
From: sbshai - sbshai@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: spreading ourselves too thin

To Marlene and other ETNI readers who sympathize with her position,
I (and others) can readily understand how you feel about various injustices
against English teachers, but please realize that the HOTS issue is the
FIRST TIME there has been an organized protest of this magnitude addressed
to the Inspectorate/MOE -- call it the straw that broke the camel's back if
you want -- and we can't risk whatever progress all our hard work (mostly in
Jerusalem) has achieved, and may well still achieve, by loading on more
demands at this time!

If you feel strongly about this, you can try organizing your own protest
(good luck getting teachers to sign any petition!) and try to enlist the
Irgun's help.  I believe their reps will say much the same as I have -- that
it could completely rock the boat and ruin present negotiations about the
HOTS program if we complain now about ancient history!
(In our petition letter to the Inspectorate, we did mention past problems
that we suffered through silently -- but this was just to explain what
prompted us to finally speak out against the intolerably uncomfortable and
unnecessary HOTS!)

Having been involved in trying to call the MOE's attention to the many
weaknesses of this literature program, I can tell you that it's very
disappointing when teachers decline to support us because (as some say) we
haven't included every possible grievance in our complaint!

Still, I sincerely wish you hatzlachah with step 1, which seems like it
should be the easiest: getting signatures to support your position.  It will
be interesting to see how far you'll get.  I'll venture a guess that I won't
have to worry about our painstaking work being undermined because you're in
for a surprise about how difficult it can be to get teachers to sign for
what they're kvetching about!

From one who's been there and done that,
Batya