[etni] Fw: recommended reading

  • From: "Ask_Etni" <ask@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ETNI" <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2008 23:23:35 +0200

----- Original Message -----
From: Esther Revivo - etni-repost@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: recommended reading

Hello! I'd like to recommend a book I just finished reading. It is called
"Grains of Sand - The Fall of Neve Dekalim" by Shifra Shomron who wrote it
as a high school teen. The book talks about a family's life in Gush Katif
and the events leading up to the expulsion as seen through a high school
student who has the regular worries such as bagrut exams on her mind, as
well as the unknown regarding her home and community.

I was highly impressed by the descriptive writing and found the book very
poignant. Politics aside, this was a very major event in our country's
recent history, and I think that good 4-5 pointers (and any English
speaker!) would enjoy reading this book which puts a very personal face on
the destruction of the Gush Katif settlements. I am asking our school
library to purchase it as it is excellent reading and I believe will
interest our pupils.

I am NOT getting a commision for writing this recommendation! I simply live
very close to Gaza and had many friends and relatives affected by this
event. And, I am always on the lookout for books that might interest my
pupils for external reading and this is one you should check out. It might
even motivate someone else to write a book since Shifra was apparently in
high school when she began writing this book and finished it when just 19.

Esther Revivo
Ulpanat Tzvia

        Call for Articles
      The Etni Rag needs you