[etni] Fw: New writing opportunity for English speaking Israeli teens

  • From: "Ask_Etni" <ask@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ETNI" <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2008 23:22:35 +0200

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Switch Teen Magazine <switch.teen.magazine@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: New writing opportunity for English speaking Israeli teens

Dear colleagues,

My name is Elana Sztokman, and I would like to let your members know about a
new and exciting opportunity for your high school English students.

SWITCH is a new English language magazine written for teens by teens. Kids
write about topics of interest to them, including music, fashion, politics,
Judaism, humor, fiction, Aliyah, and more. The only publication of its kind
in Israel – English or Hebrew – Switch is a platform for teenage expression,
creativity and dialogue. The magazine covers topics chosen by the writers,
in the style and format the teens decide upon. Teens also submit photos and
artwork, and work with the graphic artist on design and layout. In short,
Switch is exactly what it says: a magazine by teens for teens.

This is of special interest to HS English teachers around Israel. Not only
is it an opportunity for kids to write, but it is also a great source of
reading material for your classes. What is more interesting to teens than
writing of their peers? In fact, studies show that teens take the most
active interest in teen-generated media. Switch is a great source of such
media. It can be a great motivator for reading English.

Switch is a free publication. It is freely available in schools and public
locations in Modi'in and the surrounds. If you are outside of the Modi'in
area and would like to arrange a Switch subscription to your school, contact
me at switch.teen.magazine@xxxxxxxxx to discuss shipping options.

To submit an article:
Articles should be written in English by people aged 31-19. Articles must be
original, on topics relating to current events, popular culture, religion,
social issues, humor, school life, family, fiction/poetry or personal
reflections. Other topics may be considered as well -- our philosophy is, if
you have an idea, go with it and we're always happy to take a look. Articles
can be news, feature or opinion, and should be between 500 and 1800 words.

Send submissions to: switch.teen.magazine@xxxxxxxxx

If you have any further questions or comments, feel free to contact me
anytime.

Sincerely,
Elana Sztokman

--