[etni] Fw: re: projects

  • From: "Ask Etni" <ask@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Etni" <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2007 17:12:27 +0200

----- Original Message -----
From: Michele Ben - mggben@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: projects

We are English teachers in a Hebrew system and we do teach EFL.  However,
English is a language and we use a language to communicate and as a tool for
acquiring knowledge.   The project requirement is to get the kids to USE the
language for a purpose.  However we do the projects, as long as they serve
the purpose of getting the kids to use the language is positive.  We don't
have to be ridiculous and try to get them to write research papers like many
of us from English speaking countries wrote in HS and JHS.  But we do need
to give them the opportunity to use English and and be literate and acquire
knowledge from the wealth of information out there in print, media etc.  A
project doesn't have to be complicated to facilitate learning in English.
Michele

Batya wrote:
>I feel like a broken record.
We are English teachers in a Hebrew system.  Our job should not be to teach
research, summarizing, public speaking, general grammar etc.
We should be complaining using all tools and media to the parents, Education
Ministry, media etc!
It's outrageous and incompetent that our students don't learn these things
from their Hebrew curriculum.
I make my projects bare minimum with the object to give composition practice
to my students, and I would do the same if I was teaching 4 and 5 points.
Time is minimal, and there's no need to cheat when it's so simple.
If you're interested in my latest 3 point project, please write, and I'll
send it to you.

Issue #2 of The Rag is now online!!!
http://www.etni.org/etnirag/

Add yourself / Update your entry to "Who's Who on Etni"
http://www.boker.org.il/etni/whoswho.htm