[etni] Fw: re: oral exam

  • From: "Ask Etni" <ask@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Etni" <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 07:36:53 +0200

----- Original Message -----
From: "Adele Raemer and Laurie Levy" <raemer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: oral exam

The whole reason behind having them use their project for the oral exam is
that it gives them something tangible in their hands, which they have
invested a lot of time in and should have a good working vocabulary about,
on which to base the oral interaction. Before this, we were able to talk
about avodot gmar (if they did any) and the role plays - which were fun for
me (being a natural ham) but not all kids were able to become theatrical
(and this should not be one of the requirements - it's English course - not
theatre!).

The projects are, to me, an excellent basis on which to build a short
discussion - unless...... the kid didn't do the project for some reason! And
HERE is the issue, I believe - encouraging and enforcing project work!

I will NOT go into an explanation of why the PROJECTS are useful,
educational and worthy - my esteemed colleagues have explained that as
eloquently - of more so - than I can.

The " spontaneous, authentic, realistic conversation" still has its 5
minutes - and I believe that is a good way for them to warm up in
preparation for telling me about their beautiful projects which they
invested their time and efforts, writing.

Best of luck to everyone tomorrow! Stay cool, calm the kids down, try Reikii
or deep breathing relaxation exercises with the kids between modules.

Adele

Linda wrote:
> Please don't get me wrong! I am in favor of an oral exam, but a more
 authentic one! How about without their projects- just spontaneous,
 authentic, realistic conversation? I always try to find something
 (hopefully) interesting and realistic to discuss with them, and from that,
>I  can really see their true level. In addition, it makes it much more
 meaningful and pleasant for everyone, and yes, more authentic! However, I
 don't know how we can correct the problems with the grading...

Issue #2 of The Rag is now online!!!
http://www.etni.org/etnirag/

Add yourself / Update your entry to "Who's Who on Etni"
http://www.boker.org.il/etni/whoswho.htm