[etni] Re: Fw: re: new ETNI poll - disengagement novel and literature program

  • From: maxinetz <maxinetz@xxxxxxx>
  • To: ask@xxxxxxxx, 'ETNI' <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 31 May 2009 15:23:53 +0200

I agree 100% with Adele.  This really is a non-issue and needlessly
provocative.    Any school who chooses to do the log can have its pupils
read this novel (provided  that it is approved by your regional inspector).
For the EXAM?   It's obvious that this novel would not be approved FOR A
NATIONAL EXAM TO BE READ BY PUPILS ALL OVER THE COUNTRY over all the great
plays and novels out there that have stood the test of time.   So why make
an issue out of it?  My feeling is that people are itching for a fight for
no reason or practical purpose.

Regards,

Maxine Tsvaigrach

From: "Adele P. Raemer " <raemer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: new ETNI poll - disengagement novel and literature program

Dear David,
[Adele P. Raemer] I really do not see the point of this poll. On the
literature program, schools what wish, can do the log and on the log they
can choose their own literature pieces, after they get approval from their
inspector! There are guidelines, and one of the guidelines are that it
originally be written in English, but there can be (and are) exceptions to
that - for example, Night by Eli Wiesel was approved for schools on the
pilot. In light of this, what is the point of including it in the set list
for the exam? As it is, the teachers DO have the opportunity to request to
do it, for the log. This poll, therefore, seems superfluous in my opinion.

Adele