[etni] Fw: re: formal letter place of closing?

  • From: "Ask" <ask@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Etni" <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2007 19:37:06 +0200

----- Original Message ----- From: judyastary@xxxxxxxxx - judyastary@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: formal letter place of closing?

To all those prepping their students for the formal letter, the location of the signature is not the salient point, but rather that there is a final greeting (Yours sincerely/truly). Students do not have to actually write a signature though may put a fictitious one. Points would not be deducted for a closing greeting being on the left rather than the right. What is more important is that all the elements pertaining to the formal letter genre are present:
The writer's (ficticious) home address (on the right.)
The addressee (the Manager, The Director / Name of a (fictious) person
                                           The Company name (if applicable)
                                           the street and number,
The name of the town/city + postal code. (all fictitiious) all of which should be written on the left hand side.
The Date (on the right above or below the writer's address.
Dear Sir, (or name of person)
Your sincerely / truly

As long as all the above elements are present, no points are deducted for form. If one element is missing 2 pts are deducted from relevant criteria. The maximum deduction for no included elements is 6 points. This is as of last summer. Hope this clarifies any confusion as to. Good luck to all those taking the Winter Bagrut on the 16th.

Judy wrote:
hi..In the States it was drilled into us that in formal letters the
place of the closing/signature is at the bottom RIGHT in direct
line with the heading (address/date of the writer )
I notice that in the books my students are using the closing and
signature are placed on the left. So what will the Bagrut
examiners be looking for? ( I don't want my kids to lose
points because I learned about formal letters from Abe Lincoln!!!

Judith Astary

Issue #2 of The Rag is now online!!!
http://www.etni.org/etnirag/

Add yourself / Update your entry to "Who's Who on Etni"
http://www.boker.org.il/etni/whoswho.htm