[etni] Fw: Summer Volunteer/Employment Opportunities?

  • From: "Ask Etni" <ask@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Etni" <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 07:54:55 +0200

----- Original Message -----
From: Maya Richman -  mayarichman@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: Summer Volunteer/Employment Opportunities?

Thank you to everyone who responded to my earlier questions about EFL
certification! I appreciate this resource so much!

As I said before, I hope to make Aliyah within the next two years and to
teach English in Israeli schools. I'd like to take advantage of my summer
vacation this year to travel to Israel and scope out mercazei klita (or is
it klitot?), and if possible I'd like to gain some more EFL experience as
well. When I was in college, I was a counselor at Kefiada, the English day
camp for Israeli kids, in Karmiel-- unfortunately, though, I'm not sure that
program still exists.

Does anyone know of volunteer (or possibly paid) opportunities for American
EFL teachers in Israel this summer? I have an M Ed. in Secondary English,
with two years teaching experience, but I don't have EFL certification. I'd
especially like something in the Beer Sheva or Haifa area, since that's
where my husband and I talk about settling. My Hebrew is actually fairly
good, by the way; my husband is Israeli, and I can basically say whatever I
need to say in Hebrew, albeit with dikduk that is sometimes amusing. I'm 23
years old, so I'm also eligible for some "young adult" or "post-college"
programs.

I'm also curious about your impressions of the job market for EFL teachers
in Israel. I'm kind of confused by the job postings because it seems like
most of them are for part time jobs. How hard is it to get a full time job
teaching English in Israel?

Thanks again! This list is very helpful!

Maya

Issue #2 of The Rag is now online!!!
http://www.etni.org/etnirag/

Add yourself / Update your entry to "Who's Who on Etni"
http://www.boker.org.il/etni/whoswho.htm