[etni] Fw: Robert Frost

  • From: "Ask" <ask@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2006 12:34:21 +0200

----- Original Message ----- From: Miriam Greif - mgreif@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Robert Frost

Dear coleagues,

re:  The Road Not Taken

Thank you Gail for guiding us to the lovely site on Robert Frost. For many years I disagreed with the assumption that the "sigh" implied regrets... (maybe due to my own personal experience of suddenly taking a path which changed my life. I still sometimes "sigh" and wonder what would have been... but I have never regretted it).

For those who are still teaching that lovely poem, here is a quote I found most interesting.
These are a few quotes by Robert Frost himself:
"On one occasion he [RF] told of receiving a letter from a grammar-school girl who asked a good question of him: 'Why the sigh?' That letter and that question, he said, had prompted an answer.
Amherst Mass April 1925

"Dear Miss Yates:

No wonder you were a little puzzled over the end of my Road Not Taken. It was my rather private jest at the expense of those who might think I would yet live to be sorry for the way I had taken in life. I suppose I was gently teasing them. I'm not really a very regretful person, but for your solicitousness on my behalf I'm
your friend always
Robert Frost"

[Finger, L. L.: "Frost's 'The Road Not Taken': a 1925 Letter come to Light", American Literature v.50]

Illustrated Poetry of Robert Frost
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Olympus/1487/index.html#menu

Miriam Greif

Visit the ETNI site - http://www.etni.org