[etni] Fw: Re: Fw: magen tests

  • From: "Ask Etni" <ask@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Etni" <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 May 2009 08:20:49 +0200

----- Original Message -----
From: "Linda Kuras Mizrahi" <lsk120@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: magen tests

Now that the bagrut exams are 75 minutes (G:90 minutes) long and not 3
hours, I do not call any test a magen test. When the test was three hours
long, our school gave us 4 consecutive lessons (3-4 times a year) to give
full 3 hour exams. Those exams carried more weight than the 90 minute bagrut
type/bagrut exams.
 We give many bagrut exams during the year and each exam carries the same
weight.  Of course, as Sandra brought out, our students know the sites to
download bagrut exams (and answers) from and/or go to private teachers, so
we can't really call them "unseens"! Truth is, I had never heard that term
till I started teaching in Israel!
Linda Kuras Mizrahi

Sandra wrote:
> I'm not sure if those "magen tests" (matkonot) are so reliable. Schools
usually give a former bagrut as matkonet but we all know that the kids
download these tests (incl answer keys) and practice them at home prior to
the test at school. So we can't really call them"unseens" anymore; today
most bagrut papers have been "seen" by most students either with or without
the help of a private teacher... Personally I find it a bit problematic to
give so much weight to such a test.

Phyllis wrote:
>Are Magen tests really necessary?
I know of schools that have stopped giving them and just wait for the
Bagrut.