[etni] Fw: Maxine's post

  • From: "Ask Etni" <ask@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Etni" <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2009 14:07:33 +0200

----- Original Message -----
From: Phil Simon - phil_simon@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Maxine's post

The basis on which I made my comments was the same as that on which you make
yours: experience in class. You are lucky that you have students who enjoy
learning literature the HOTS way and who are obviously of a standard that
can do so. I assume that you are from the center of the country and teach
"good" students. My students have enough problems understanding and using
English, and getting to the terms in HOTS is not only not enjoyable but a
good way of deflecting them from English altogether.

The vast majority of teachers I speak to do are against HOTS. They do not
post on ETNI and those that read what is going on are too scared to make
their views known. Anybody who thinks that the majority of teachers are for
HOTS is living on another planet.

I don't "say anything", but do so because of what I know. I am not afraid to
say that HOTS is a bad idea, and not because of the extra work or lack or
remuneration.

Phil