[etni] Fw: In response to Reuben's message (Digest # 299)

  • From: "Ask_Etni" <ask@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ETNI" <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 8 Nov 2009 06:35:59 +0200

----- Original Message -----
From: sbshai - sbshai@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: In response to Reuben's message (Digest # 299)

The HOTS issue is not just a financial matter to be haggled between the
Irgun (the only union that's trying to help, as far as I know) and the MOE;
much more is at stake than that -- the most important point being the fact
that our professional concerns about the program have clearly NOT been
addressed.

By now, everyone is surely aware of the inevitability of the program and the
fact that the Ministry is not going to back down on something it has
invested in so much.  However, their insistence that the program is
immutable (beyond whatever token changes have been made to date in the
original design) should disturb us more than anything else because it
reveals how we're viewed by the policy makers.
It's as if our realtime experience in the Israeli classroom counts for
naught and whatever enthusiasm and "high order thinking" we have motivated
while teaching literature
long before this (so-called) innovative program came on the radar screen is
inconsequential.

The questions we have repeatedly raised relate to the weaknesses in the
program, for which, apparently, there exist no satisfactory answers.

Many teachers are dissatisfied, but feel powerless to do anything about
it -- so they prefer to go along with this fad and stay on the good side of
the VIPs.  (Of course, this is why we get increasing workloads without
proper remuneration.)

It will be interesting to see how long this new program lasts before another
'new and improved' program comes along to bring plenty of work for teachers
but no particular benefit to EFL students!

CoMISERatinglY,
Batya