[etni] [FWD: quicktionaries]

  • From: ask@xxxxxxxx
  • To: etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2004 03:01:38 -0700

 -------- Original Message --------
 Subject: quicktionaries
 From: "Harvith" <lharvith@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

 It seems to me that we have missed two important points throughout this
discussion.

 One is the issue of money. If the State provided quicktionaries for any
student that wanted one, then the playing field would be leveled and it could
be considered a legitimate tool.  But it doesn't. Do we want a situation where
if you have the financial resources you can virtually bypass learning English?

 Two is what we are testing. If we are testing what has been learned, then the
use of an electric translation device by passes this
 completely. If we are testing knowledge of English, ditto. If we are testing
communication in English by any means, then perhaps this is legitimate.

 Lisa Harvith