[etni] [FWD: That's the point!]

  • From: <ask@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2009 05:47:45 -0700

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: That's the point!
From: "sbshai" <sbshai@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

 Hello again ETNI readers,
Nathan has recently responded to the charge that the new lit program
will kill the joy in literature by saying that will only happen if the
teacher's attitude towards it is negative.

But you see, that's exactly the point: A teacher should not be forced to
teach a program he/she doesn't believe is worth the time spent on it,
especially if this teacher has been successfully teaching literature and
motivating students to think!
This is a major reason that so many veteran teachers (most of whom took
the course, BTW) are protesting the HOTS program.

Unlike previous programs, HOTS is constructed in such a rigid box that
it does not allow for much adaption to suit our individual needs -- and
this is just ONE weakness in it.

For those teachers who find the program appealing and think it might be
the best way to teach literature, so be it.  But it is not fair to
insinuate that those of us who see its fallacies are somehow deficient!
(I've already said something similar to someone off-list, but perhaps
other colleagues who like the program can ponder the legitimacy of this
point.)

Batya

P.S.
So far as I know, no one who's enthused about the program (neither one
of its designers, nor a course instructor or any other teacher) has come
forward to volunteer giving a demonstration lesson to convince the
doubters of the program's viability.  (I can report that requests to do
so have been ignored.)
In contrast, as we've even read on this list, more than a few seasoned
teachers who approached the program objectively (i.e., they were neither
strongly for nor against it) have tried teaching the explicit HOTS and
concluded that the way they've always taught literature goes over more
successfully.