[etni] ETAI Forum online

  • From: "Ask Etni" <ask@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2006 14:31:21 +0200

Hi all,

Don't forget to vote in the present ETNI poll -
"Should the ETAI Forum be available online?"

Present results:
97% -- Yes
3% -- No

And here are comments that people have left while voting:

1) By having the ETAI Forum online, we will be able to search back issues, and it will also reach a much wider readership. The writers in the Forum deserve to reach a much wider readership. The digital age has been with us for a while now. It's time that the ETAI Forum catches up.

2) Although it makes sense to have the ETAI Forum on-line since this is the digital age, one of the benefits of being an ETAI member is receiving the Forum. If the Forum is on-line, then one incentive to joining ETAI is eliminated. I think that year-old Forums should be posted on-line, but that the current issues should be available only to people who have paid dues. Summaries of the articles could be posted, along with a choice artilce or two. However, as I have already said, current issues should be sent to members. Furthermore, the Forum makes for good bedtime reading. You can't take the computer to bed!

3) I can understand ETAI wanting to use the Forum mainly as an incentive for membership, rather than developing it into a significant international publication that will be read by EFL professionals around the world. That is their prerogative.
However, this still leaves the Israeli EFL experience lacking. ETNI once put out an electronic publication. Whatever happened to it? Maybe ETNI can start up an electronic journal of some sort that will come out a few times a year and attend the needs of the Israeli EFL population as a whole.

4) It should be on line, but only IN ADDITION to a printed version.

5) Certainly!! In addition to the hardcopy, of course. That's how it's done, and it will give us true international standing as world-class professionals.
My article in the Forum touches the tip of the internet iceberg of the information and networking we, as EFL, teachers can enjoy.
Once the Forum is online, students and teachers all over the world will be able to quote from it in research papers. This will raise our standing here in Israel, too.
It shouldn't be that difficult, since we have to submit our articles publication-ready.

6) Forum On Line in the 21st Century
Well, duhhhhhhh

7) I do agree to have an Etai Forum on line.I think that this forum should appear after we have the printed version first and only to the members of ETAI who have paid their dues

Who's Who on ETNI - http://www.etni.org/whoswho/
Add yourself / Update your entry
http://www.boker.org.il/etni/whoswho.htm