[etni] Re: Doing projects without the internet

  • From: Yisrael and Batya Medad <ybmedad@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rlewen@xxxxxxxxx, etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 22:40:35 +0200

At 10:44 30/10/03 -0800, Rivka Lewenstein wrote:

>I respectfully disagree with Batya. It's true that I wasn't able to be
>present at her workshop, which I'm sure gave a lot of helpful suggestions,
>but from everything she wrote last year (and Batya, please correct me if
>I'm wrong), the solutions for a no-Internet school were more for the 1 and
>3-point levels. For higher level projects, this is, indeed, a real
>problem. I know of teachers who just sent their students "to find
>material" (not online), and the

In some ways it's easier for the higher level student.  First of all, these
aren't supposed to be full-size research papers.  In actuality they only
need a few sources.

Quite a few of us teach in dormitory schools with neither computers nor
research time at home, as if the homes have facilities.  In addition we
have very few hours.  The boys in yeshivot are expected to be in the beit
medrash in the evenings, not doing English homework.

First find material.  First go through old and sample English
textbooks--I'm trying to go through our collection, and it's great!!!  Try
to get donations of old news magazines, encyclopedias, foreign
history/science textbooks.  Elementary school may be a better level, or
junior high.  Plan your projects around the material you have, or can be
made available to your students.  I participated in a  hishtalmut in which
we searched for material for weak learners, both on and
offline.  Everything was too difficult, and it was pretty obvious that for
the higher level student you have many more options.

Good luck,

Batya

ps  Should I seriously think  of giving another workshop?