[etni] Doing projects without the internet

  • From: Rivka Lewenstein <rlewen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 10:44:45 -0800 (PST)

I respectfully disagree with Batya. It's true that I wasn't able to be present
at her workshop, which I'm sure gave a lot of helpful suggestions, but from
everything she wrote last year (and Batya, please correct me if I'm wrong), the
solutions for a no-Internet school were more for the 1 and 3-point levels. For
higher level projects, this is, indeed, a real problem. I know of teachers who
just sent their students "to find material" (not online), and the students
either came back with material in Hebrew, which they translated (not very
helpful and not according to the NBA criteria), or just couldn't find
appropriate material. I'm not saying that it's impossible for students to find
material, just that it's very hard. And do we really want to put our students
in the position of feeling such frustration that they'd rather have never heard
of projects? In addition, it also limits the variety of topics you can do the
project on. Maybe you can find magazine articles about celebrities
 easily enough, but what about articles on famous authors - most from the 19th
century (the topic of my project)?

I can tell you what my "solution" was - to research everything myself, download
the articles and print them out - and let my students go through them and find
the appropriate information. Of course, there are a number of reasons for this
approach being extremely problematic:
1) Endless hours of work for the teacher - If you decide to do that, forget
about everything else in your life for two or three weeks.
2) It doesn't teach your students proper research skills. Yes, they do have to
find the appropriate information within the text, but it's not exactly real
research.

Nevertheless, I haven't found anything better to offer my students. (And yes,
I'm working on a new project now, and after about two weeks of research, I'm
not even halfway through - and ready to call it quits! On the other hand, I do
enjoy the research part - I learn so many interesting new things.)

If anyone out there has a better idea which allows me to give a project on a
high level without compromising on any of the project requirements or on the
interest level of the project, PLEASE tell us.

All the best,
Rivka