[Enzo] Day 65 report - A day for father

  • From: "Kelly Groves" <kelly@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <enzo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2014 22:28:19 -0700

Day 65

Doctor: Johnny Novales

Nurses: Jeremy (night), James/Sherry (day)

RT: n/a (off-oxygen)

Gestational age: 38 1/7 weeks

Weight: 2667 g or 5 lbs. 14.0 oz.

Length: 47 cm (6/8/14)

Feeding: ad lib Q 3 hr. (Nursing + 22 cal fortified breast milk). PO
multivitamin with iron (1 mg q 24 hr - @ 0800). Amount nippled: 60 ml @
2000, 40 ml @ 2300, 50 ml @ 0200, 50 ml @ 0500, 55 ml @ 0800, nursing + 35
ml @ 1100, 55 ml @ 1500, 52 ml @ 1800).

New orders: n/a

Other issues: Fussy. Not stooling regularly.

Enzo had a good night with Jeremy. At his first round of cares, Jeremy
bathed little Enzo. Unfortunately, he's not a huge fan, but he managed to
eat a full two ounces in spite of being tired out.

Although Enzo only gained 3 grams in the last 24 hours, we aren't concerned.
The weight gain (or lack thereof) is not a huge issue as we are dealing with
a lot of simultaneous changes. Enzo has moved from the 24 calorie fortified
breast milk to the 22 calorie.. I know this sounds minor, but it is cutting
the amount of supplementation in half. On top of this, we are trying to
train Enzo to breast feed. This means a different type of latch position
than he uses with the bottle. Enzo is doing his best but is obviously
frustrated at points with the transition.

Enzo, Sleeping Peacefully

After being very fussy around his 2 a.m. cares, Enzo produced a small
"tribute" in his diaper at 5 a.m. Still, it seems like there should be more
where that came from.

This morning, Enzo was super angry when we got there. He hadn't been
sleeping much and was generally being difficult. We don't know exactly what
is upsetting him, but our guess is constipation.

Kelly feeding Enzo.

Kelly immediately jumped in and tried to feed Enzo from the breast with
mixed results. Enzo was so angry that he had difficulty determining whether
he wanted to eat or scream. After a rest, he was ready to try to feed a bit
more. Eventually, we let him sleep with Phillip instead of eating - he was
completely and absolutely exhausted.

Enzo relaxing in Daddy's arms

You want me to burp???

Since two of Enzo's neighbors graduated this afternoon, James was called off
at 3 p.m., and Sherry took over. She did her normal thing and dealt with
Enzo flawlessly. Enzo immediately brought his behavior into line since
Sherry was his nurse. amazing.

Enzo continues to do well with his feedings and is still on track for
graduation from the NICU soon, perhaps mid-week.

Enzo & Mommy enjoying a quiet moment

As an aside, today was particularly difficult for us. On this Father's Day,
we celebrate the newest addition to our family, and we remember our daughter
and mourn her passing, like we do every day. As much as we rejoice to see
Enzo continue to flourish under his nurses' care, we cannot help wishing his
sister were still in the bed next to him. We feel her loss as keenly now as
we did two months ago. We love you, Astrid.

JPEG image

JPEG image

JPEG image

JPEG image