use system-wide filetype scheme

  • From: Liviu Andronic <landronimirc@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: emelfm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 May 2012 17:58:25 +0200

Hello
This is something that was evaluated in the past, I think. Currently
the TODO list contains this item:
"interrogate shared-configuration data for more filetype handlers (but
FDO spec is still too immature)"

and if I understand correctly it pertains to the filetype scheme used by emel.

The current filetype scheme, although genuinely flexible, is not
always very practical. Specifically, (1) it does not automatically
update itself when programs are (un-)installed and (2) the defaults
are most of the times unsuited for my user habits, meaning that for
each install on a different system (especially on my friends'
computers) I have to start from scratch customizing the filteypes.
Compared with Thunar and other file managers that use system-wide MIME
types, emel requires a lot of customization before it becomes usable,
and this can easily become a show-stopper to its adoption.

So would there be a way to improve things? Perhaps emel could offer a
compile time option that would switch between its internal filetype
scheme and an external one based on MIME types. Or maybe there is an
elegant way to make coexist both filetype approaches. What do you
think?

Regards
Liviu

--