Re: support for encrypted volumes?

  • From: <tpgww@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: emelfm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2010 09:09:19 +1000

On Tue, 21 Sep 2010 00:01:44 +0300
Liviu Andronic <landronimirc@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> (sorry for all this spam)
>
> On Sun, Sep 19, 2010 at 1:36 PM, Liviu Andronic <landronimirc@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> > also contains a concise list of alternatives). The other is Gigolo
> > [2], an Xfce app that, unlike advertised, seamlessly allows
> > opening/closing LUKS-encrypted volumes.
> >
> One thing that I noticed in the description of Gigolo is that it
> 'manage[s] connections to local and remote filesystems using
> GIO/GVfs'. It seems that you already implemented some basic support
> for GVfs, but it is still tagged as 'not yet functional' in
> Makefile.config. Do you think that completing the integration would
> make emel provide functionality similar to the one in Gigolo?

As I understand it, gigolo is xfce's "mounter" for virtual directories. As
such, I presume that you can use gigolo and then access the mounted content via
e2 or whatever else.

The (long ago) work on using gio in e2 was to be transparent to users i.e. no
need to mount anything. I lost confidence in the relevance of this, because:
* gio's handling of archives is limited (e.g. weak for writing changes)
* there are good alternatives for other services e.g. filezilla
* there's no sane way to manage commandline activity with virtual directories
and their contents, except perhaps to disable commands entirely