Re: support for encrypted volumes?

  • From: <tpgww@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: emelfm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 13:58:20 +1100

On Sun, 31 Oct 2010 08:43:58 +0100
Liviu Andronic <landronimirc@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 31, 2010 at 1:57 AM,  <tpgww@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > gigolo seems to use the gio library (in particular, sub-classed
> > GMountOperation objects) to do its work. I suppose I can try to make sense
> > of gio, and enable that for building e2 with glib >= 2.16.
> >
> That would be great, I think, to have a GIO-generated menu similar to
> mountpoints.<menu>.

I've been looking into this, at long last. I don't think it can be usefully
progressed. I've found:

 * an ordinary user can't directly [un]mount encrypted volumes, it must be done
by superuser or some process with that authority e.g. gvfs daemon
 * often automatically handled by udev/scripts etc
 * if you run udisks, that will handle auto [un]mounting of removable devices,
but it also drags in the policy-kit mess
 * udisks process-timing (especially when a password-dialog is involved)
creates a race between itself and anything e2 might do for encrypted volumes
 * glib needs to be >= 2.22, as the gio API in 2.16-2.20 was insufficient for
interacting with the user if needed during the operation (e.g. to get a
password)
 * gio unmount mechanism works only for removable drives. In principle, the
same infrastructure should apply to all unmounts, but in practice (here at
least) the relevant data is empty for non-removable mount-points. I can find no
reasonable way to work around this.
 * gio mounting not yet investigated in detail - seems not worth it ATM. Some
of the same issues will apply.

Would be worth re-considering if gio functionality improves e.g. in glib 3.

Might be worth investigating gvfs-mount command, run as superuser.