Re: shred plugin

  • From: Liviu Andronic <landronimirc@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: emelfm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2013 07:35:52 +0200

On Sun, Aug 25, 2013 at 7:15 AM,  <tpgww@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Aug 2013 12:45:59 +0200
> "0.akowalski" <0.akowalski@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> You also have my plus one ;-)
>
> I hope we all realise that this will really be just a more-sophisticated
> approach to security-by-obscurity. AFAIK there's no bullet-proof and
> widely-available approach to forcing multiple, nearly-simultaneous
> overwrites, or dealing with OS page-files.

I do remember reading that shredding on a journaling FS is not that
very efficient (I never understood why, though), but to my
understanding it should be pretty useful on a non-journaling FS (like
ext2 or fat32) that you would usually have on an external USB drive.

Regards,
Liviu

--
Do you know how to read?