Re: shred plugin

  • From: Liviu Andronic <landronimirc@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: emelfm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2013 13:34:59 +0200

On Sun, Aug 25, 2013 at 9:39 AM, Ralf ranfyy <ranfyy@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I do remember reading that shredding on a journaling FS is not that
>> very efficient (I never understood why, though),
>

> You can read up a bit on how revoering works on ext4 here:
>   http://openfacts2.berlios.de/wikien/index.php/BerliosProject:Ext4magic

Thanks.

I also checked the man shred page, and it says:
"In the case of ext3 file systems, the above disclaimer applies (and
shred is thus of limited effectiveness) only in data=journal mode,
which journals file data in addition to just metadata. In both the
data=ordered (default) and data=writeback modes, shred works as usual."

So this would mean that shredding  should work on ext3, too, under
certain configurations. I'm just wondering how to check whether my
ext3 partition is using defaults or some other 'data=' option? The
following is not very informative:

liv@malou-laptop:~$ cat /etc/mtab | grep -i ext3
/dev/sda6 / ext3 rw,errors=remount-ro 0 0
/dev/sda8 /home ext3 rw,errors=remount-ro 0 0

Regards,
Liviu