Re: panes.switch and working dir

  • From: <tpgww@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: emelfm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 10:31:05 +1100

On Tue, 27 Jan 2009 22:52:14 +0100
Giancarlo Bianchi <giancarlo.b@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I'm trying to let file-roller extract an archive in a directory created
> in the other pane guessed from the file name. The command switch for
> file-roller to do this is -h (--extract-here), and no option can be
> given to set working directory (just like tar -C).
> Doing "panes.switch ; file-roller -h %D/%F ; panes.switch" extracts the
> archive in the pane I run it from. That is, panes.switch doesn't
> actually change the working directory. Is it an expected behavior (so,
> what is it for? is there anything else to do what I'm searching for?) or
> is it a bug?

The panes.switch process includes a call to library-function chdir(). Here the
CWD does change, and there's been no change to the relevant code since 0.5
release. What happens if you
 panes.switch; pwd; file-roller -h %P; panes.switch
?

(%P is effectively the same as %D/%F)

I've just tested file-roller a bit, it seems that the -h option does not work
as we might expect. Even the
 --default-dir=... option does not help.