Re: emelFM2 pre-release available

  • From: Grégory SCHMITT <gy.schmitt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: emelfm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2008 10:39:28 -0400

----- Original Message -----
> Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2008 14:08:36 +1000
> De: <tpgww@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> À: emelfm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Sujet: Fw: emelFM2 pre-release available

> Hello all.
>
> At http://emelfm2.net/DownLoads you can get another pre-release of e2
> code, replacing the one advertised on this ML recently. At
> http://emelfm2.net/ChangeLog you can see the changes relative to the
> last release 0.4.1 (i.e. not relative to the last pre-release). The
> increment was, more or less, updated mvbar and cpbar plugins, some
> extra support for FDO trash specification, and a few bugs gone
> (maybe).

> Feedback please.

You ask for it, you get it !

So far, I have noticed improved stability from 0.4.1 (bugs that were
introduced in the 0.4 branch seem to have been fxed).

On a side note, it may be an impression only, but I have the feeling
that e2 is much more responsive than before.

I agree with the changes that you brought to the buttons labels (i.e
verbs only, that makes sense). I feel a little more confused, however,
by your choice of stock pictures. I had a quick look at
http://library.gnome.org/devel/hig-book/stable/windows-utility.html.en#windows-explicit-apply
(Gnome HIG guidelines) and noticed a couple of differences with the
configuration panel:
- "Commit", blue arrow: ok
- "Discard": I feel the red stop button would be appropriate (it
usually refers to a "Stop" or "Cancel" signal in most apps).
- "Apply": I'd rather have the green tick instead of the current
picture, which looks like a "Reload" action to me.
- "Basic"/"Advanced": do we really need anything there ? I can't see
any stock picture that suits well this button.
- "Default": why not the "Reload" button ? It seems safe to me, since
we have a nice warning popup.
- "Proceed": I feel that green and red bubbles should be reserved to
"yes" and "no" actions only. I would ideally see the "Commit" blue
arrow over here.
- "Delete" dialog: per the HIG guideline, move the focus to the "Delete"
button, not "Keep".
- "Copy" / "Move" / "Link" popups: in the "Delete" popup, the main
action button is called appropriately according to the action. However,
in all other popups, the main button is called "Proceed"; why not
"Copy" for the "Copy" popup button, with the "Copy" stock picture... and
so on ? Another possibility would be to have the green and red bubbles
with "Yes" and "No" labels for any popup, even if I'm afraid they would
be confusing for most users (i.e no difference between the buttons
of two different popups).

As well, I started e2 with a fresh new configuration file, and the
configuration panel was ridiculously small. I left e2, reloaded my old
conf file, and the size was ok.

My 2 cents.

--
Grégory SCHMITT <mailto:gy.schmitt@xxxxxxxxx>