Text file character encoding and the emelfm2 text viewer

  • From: tpgww@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: emelfm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 19:09:39 +1100

On Wed, 1 Feb 2006 11:17:23 +0100
Liviu Andronic <landronimirc@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> there still is one small bug (not sure) with the view plugin. For
> example, I have certain text files, like the one attached, that
> view.pluginrefuses to open: "Invalid byte sequence in conversion
> input". Vim, on the
> contrary, opens it and just notifies: "[converted]". Is the problem in
> that the file contains UTF-8 encoding and probably another one?

e2's viewer (and gtk in general) requires UTF-8 encoding for the text. If a
file to be viewed is not already in that form. it will apply a function which,
according to the API doc:
"converts a string which is in the encoding used for strings by the C runtime
(usually the same as that used by the operating system) in the current locale
into a UTF-8 string"

Of course, that's no help if that condition is not met, say because you have a
letter from a foreign locale. Other conversions are possible, if we know what
is needed.

So, how does vim figure it out? Does anyone out there know how to automagically
discover the encoding used in a text file?