Re: Rename function

  • From: <tpgww@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: emelfm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2007 01:29:11 +1100

On Sat, 1 Dec 2007 08:26:05 -0200 (BRST)
Clever Pereira <cmp1947@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I use libtrash in my environment (export
> LD_PRELOAD=/usr/local/lib/libtrash.so, in .bashrc). So when I remove a
> file it goes to a pre-selected directory (in my case $HOME/.Trash)
> where I can remove it later with root privilege only. In EmelFm2 when
> I rename a file it is moved to my .Trash. It is clear that libtrash is
> doing its job. But it doesn't happen in the old Emelfm. Is there a way
> to overcome it and have emelfm2 rename a file without moving it to my
> .Trash dir?
>
> Clever Pereira

Clever

I don't know about the library. Is it possible for for it to do _more_ than its
job ?

The core of the rename process is just 2 calls to glibc rename() - from oldname
to temp, and later from temp to newname. I can't think of any good reason for
those to be treated like a deletion. Between the renames, any already-existing
"newname" is deleted of course, and that's what I'd expect to go to your trash.