Re: [POLL] mount: sync or async?

  • From: Grégory SCHMITT <gy.schmitt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: emelfm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2007 11:08:19 +0200

----- Original Message -----
> Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2007 10:52:34 +1000
> De: <tpgww@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> À: emelfm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Sujet: Re: [POLL] mount: sync or async?

> On Tue, 4 Sep 2007 17:17:09 +0200
> Grégory SCHMITT <gy.schmitt@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>  My feeling is that before, mount was
> > waiting for the device to probe the disc (which can take a few
> > seconds depending on the performance of your optical drive). Now,
> > mount doesn't wait as long for the disc to be probed and exits
> > quickly.
> I can't think why synchronous operation of a mount command would make
> a difference. The command should still just do what it does.

Well, as I said in my post, it's mostly my feeling only... I clearly
understand your point, as I thought myself it doesn't make sense at
all for the mount command to fail when asynchronous and succeed when
synchronous.

I think I can run some extra testing on it; I'll get a svn copy and
build it with different options. Could you tell me what file I should
modify to switch between sync and async ?

--
Grégory SCHMITT <mailto:gy.schmitt@xxxxxxxxx>