Re: German translation

  • From: tpgww@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: emelfm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 13:02:53 +1100

On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 23:12:07 +0100
Marcus von Appen <mva@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On, Thu Jan 26, 2006, Ronny Steiner wrote:
>
> > Hi!
> >
> > Thank you for your quick reply!
> > I checked all you said --> o.k.
> > ..searched the internet a while and found my problem:
> >
> > I don't know why but if I change LC_CTYPE from de_DE to de_DE.UTF-8 it
> > works fine!
>
> Sounds like emelfm does not set the locale here correctly in my opinion.
> I did not recheck it in detail for now, but usually something like
>
>      setlocale (LC_ALL, "");
>      bindtextdomain (PACKAGENAME, LOCALEDIR);
>      textdomain (PACKAGENAME);
>      bind_textdomain_codeset (PACKAGE, "UTF-8");
>
> does the right thing (if the translations are in UTF-8). If I see that
> correctly in e2_main.c, the last call for setting the encoding of the
> translations does not exist.
In the above, did you deliberately distinguish between PACKAGE and PACKAGENAME
? If so, how does that affect the proposed patch ?

> Assumption:
> Because of this your translations are converted using a
> latin-1/15 -> utf-8 conversion, which breaks them (as they are already in
> utf-8, but your encoding suffix in the LC_* is not set).
>
> If I am right with that (I am no gettext guru),
Nor me. I'm happy to be led by the nose on this one.

it would make more sense
> to fix it within the program (trying to enforce UTF-8, if not set in the
> locale) rather than in your translations (Tom, your opinion here? :-).
I guess the fr and ja translators might also have something to add

> > So I go on the german translation of emelFM2 0.1.5
> >
> > Maybe anyone can tell me why I have to change LC_CTYPE. I cant
> > understand that because all the other linux-programs with german local
> > file don't need that?
>
> See above. I attached a minor patch for the e2_main.c, which you might
> give a try to see, if it works for you afterwards. You can easily apply
> it by changing in the (freshly extracted) sources directory and running
>
>    patch < path/to/locale.diff
Let us know if it helps. Happy to apply the patch if so.