[EMAS] Sandy Mush Gamelands Bear creek access, Feb 9, 2012

  • From: "Doug Johnston" <wellsteadwest@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "EMAS Sightings" <emas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2012 19:15:42 -0500

Vin Stanton and I decided to visit the gamelands and look for Woodcock. They have been seen in several places within the gamelands in the summer.

We started around 4:30 to see what other birds we could find. Slim pickings at that hour - see below.

Woodcock started to display around 6:15 and were going strong at 6:35 when we left. One landed about 20 feet away and started calling, then took off for his display, returning to almost the same spot for more calling from the ground. A great sight and sound to round off the day!

Doug Johnston

Sandy Mush Gamelands Bear creek access, Buncombe, US-NC
Feb 9, 2012 4:30 PM - 6:30 PM
Protocol: Traveling
1.0 mile(s)
Comments:     Clear, light breeze, mid 30's
12 species

Wild Turkey  3
American Woodcock  2
Mourning Dove  3