[ell-i-developers] Re: Tentative plan for Arduino Ethernet library support

  • From: Teemu Hakala <temmi@xxxxxx>
  • To: "ell-i-developers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ell-i-developers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2014 10:31:05 +0200

On 18.2.2014, at 9:31, Pekka Nikander <pekka.nikander@xxxxxx> wrote:
>> I’m all for this. Working UDP/IP that includes DHCP and COAP support is
>> plenty to give us communication with a Node.JS aggregate running either just
>> a translative UX or some automation agents.

It looks as though there is some amount of ENC28J60 IP stack for Arduino
already existing. The thread on Adafruit refers to a V6 implementation on
Arduino. Have you taken a look? It is ported from Contiki, so it is already
more or less familiar and you should be able to form an educated opinion on if
it has any value for us. Basically it boils down to two questions:

Is the Contiki IP api abstraction good for us?

Is the Arduino port full of 8bit quackiness, or could it be easily ported for
32bit Arduino/ARM?

http://www.adafruit.com/blog/2012/09/17/ask-an-educator-how-can-i-get-my-arduino-to-use-ipv6/
https://github.com/telecombretagne/Arduino-IPv6Stack/wiki

Now, this would be V6 and for our first tries at a local isolated island
Ethernet I’m not the slightest bit interested if we’re at V4, V6 or both. The
aggregate node on Raspberry Pi can perfectly well translate anything to real
world V4 as soon as we need communications to outer world, as with the Results
Day demo.

For those asking why V6 first, we could answer that we decided to start from
the future and add support for the present moment only later on…

 - t