[elky] [non] Re: Flying

  • From: Jared Ryan <jryan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2010 08:04:24 -0600

I got to land at night Saturday night.  We took off at about 4 PM and landed at
about 6, and the sun had gone down.  Night landing didn't freak me out; the
runway is lit and the landing light works well.

John says I am too hard on myself, but overall I was not happy with how I did
compared to the first flight.  I struggled a bit doing slow flight at the
assigned altitude, and was tending to overcontrol on landings; for some reason
I was much more nervous on landing than before.  None of the landings was very
hard, and I didn't bang the tail on the ground (that actually happens), but
they were not nearly as clean as they could be.

We did slow flight (dirty - flaps down, and clean - flaps up), steep turns, a
bunch of touch-and-gos, and a short-field takeoff.  I also did the entire
preflight checklist myself and started and ran up the engine.

3.5 hours total in my logbook now.

I'm really down on myself but John keeps saying I'm probably two flights ahead
of most people.  I did taxi much, much better, which I really struggled with on
the first flight.