[elky] Re: Sunsets @ Night

  • From: STILLFRANKSFAULT@xxxxxxx
  • To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2010 12:57:48 EST

Photo shop the mirror image?

Smoky Mt. Frank

In a message dated 11/24/2010 11:15:45 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
rbuck@xxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

You're right.  I've used it a coupla times, but not  very often.  It's a
kool effect and can be used very well on the  salt.  Imagine part of the shot
showing the white salt and the other  showing the mountains bathed in
"donzerlylight."  I'll have to  work on that.

I guess shot from the driver's  seat would be one  option and shot from the
rear quarter of the car with a long lens would be  another.  Depth-of-field
would get to be an issue, though.  I need  to test this to solidify it in
my own mind: when you shoot something in a  mirror, is the focus on the
mirror surface or on the actual distance to the  subject?  Reading up on it,
everything sez that it's the actual distance,  so in the image in the link, the
mirror is sharp, but the sunset in it is out  of focus, as is the landscape
in front of it.  I wouldn't wanna do it  while driving (takes too many hands
and eyes and I can just imagine my Burb  upside-down in a ditch and me
trying to explain depth-of-field to a cop) but  in a static situation, it'd be
fine.

On 11/24/2010 6:28  AM, _STILLFRANKSFAULT@xxxxxxxx
(mailto:STILLFRANKSFAULT@xxxxxxx)  wrote:
I may have said this before, Ray this type of photo, the rearview  mirror
shot, can set up some real interesting (artsy) shots.
 Two different subject matter, or a different twist on the same  one.
Depending on your skills this is an area I think you should try to  explore
this
style.
  Example: Full view car on the salt, pit crew in the mirror.
I know lighting would be a bear but maybe you could insert the  photo of
the crew into the mirror later. ?????????
Might be a style that sells, it's different. Food for thought.
Smoky Mt. Frank

In a message dated 11/23/2010 12:38:16 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
_printces@xxxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:printces@xxxxxxxxxxxx)  writes:

_http://lh5.ggpht.com/_8IKQluy-9ok/S1-3O24-vwI/AAAAAAAADNM/xMpFHLj0TVc/1030_
091809d14_NE_sunset.jpg_
(http://lh5.ggpht.com/_8IKQluy-9ok/S1-3O24-vwI/AAAAAAAADNM/xMpFHLj0TVc/1030_091809d14_NE_sunset.jpg)