[elky] Race car update/BFT

  • From: Ray Buck <rbuck@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2012 20:36:26 -0600

I can't say that I ever donated for money...I can't donate much of anything...I was exposed to tuberculosis years and years ago (I think it was in Spain) and a tine test always shows up positive.  So there are notes in my medical records that say, "don't use this guy's blood...he's rotten to the core" or something like that.  :)

Oh...yeah...the BFT.  Lessee here.  ATF, check.  Oil, check.  Coolant, check (and almost none of any of it spilled on the floor....amazing.)  Coil wire repaired, check.  Alternator connected, check.  Battery connected, check.  Banzai!!!  (Driver hits his head on the top of the car getting into the new seats he isn't used to.  No blood.  Good.)

Banzai take 2!!!!!

Ya know what the cops said?

Well...nothing, really.  I realized I'd fired the thing up without opening up the garage door.  When I opened it, there were 2 cop cars outside.  They were checking out the house across the street.  I ran in and grabbed the camera.  I was gonna ask 'em if they got a noise complaint, but they left just as I got back to snap a coupla shots.

So.  It fired up.  I cranked it over a bit and then had to give it one spray with starting fluid.  After sitting for so long, I'm not a bit surprised.  But then it started on the next tap of the key.  Oil pressure was good; I didn't run it long enough to see any coolant temp, but the electric fan was working fine.  The volts gauge is pegged negative and I bet that has a little bit to do with the broken brown wire at the alternator.  I'll get to that "almost" next.

After I ran it, I made sure I had 35 pounds of air in each of the tires (ancient BFG T/As) and remembered I had chicken cooking in the oven.  So that was it for the evening.  But tomorrow will prolly be the go/no go test.  If the transmission and drive train are working (that is, if it moved under its own power) then it's a go.  If not...for whatever reason, I'm gonna bag it and get ready to go to Speed Week on the 8th.

On 7/30/2012 7:18 PM, John Christensen wrote:
I have donated blood once or twice. Even got $10 for Plasma one time and ate bacon and eggs for 3 days. Please keep your donations to a minimum.

Your list is getting shorter!!! Looking forward to when you fire it up.