[elky] Day road trip: exploring!

  • From: faithcubsmc2691@xxxxxxx
  • To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2011 01:47:03 -0400 (EDT)

If you haven't explored your area ... driving roads or being a "tourist" to see
what you find ... I highly suggest you take time to DO IT.  And, yes, that
includes myself.

I've mentioned before how I explore the back roads west of my home town when
I'm driving my Monte Carlos.  I've discovered some neat, secluded areas
(particularly long stretches of back roads!), as well as some interesting short
cuts.  This time, a day before my birthday, my Aunt Chris and I went for a
drive to explore some areas in central/western/northern IL.

Our trip (Sunday, 09/18/2011) was preceded by a conversation we had this past
spring.  We were talking about the drive out to Mt Morris IL, particularly when
IL RT 64 was partially closed for road construction, ~8 years ago.  At the
time, part of the detour around the construction area took us on a long stretch
of back road where we watched a farm house turn into a "castle".  We wondered
if the house had ever been completed ... and, if so, what it looked like today.
 So ... we decided to go check it out.  I was quite disappointed to see it
unfinished and abandoned.

We also went to Byron IL, Durand IL, Freeport IL and Lena IL, taking mostly
back roads between towns.  We only hit I-39 coming back home.

Some pics from our adventure...
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.2457510359364.2146820.1300282613&l=145446f357&type=1

Cort | 38.m.IL | pigValve + paceMaker | 5 Monte Carlos + 1 Caprice Classic
*** CHD.MCs.CC + RoadTrips.models.RadioShows.legos.HO.us66 =
http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
"You never know all the riches you own 'till someone takes them away" __ John
Schneider __ 'Take The Long Way Home'