[elky] Cort Update

  • From: John Christensen <johncgg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: El Camino List <elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2011 18:17:30 -0600

From 8 hours ago:
Joylyn Johnson <https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=642314846>
 Cort is off the ventilator!! His color looks good, some of the swelling
has gone down, and he is eagerly checking out Facebook! He is communicating
with whispers and by typing on my tablet. He told the nurse earlier that
his pain was around a 5 - and he declined more pain meds when she offered
right after i got here (close to 8). He has some nausea, and she gave him
meds for that. They will take the line out of his neck a little later
today, and once that is out, they will sit him up in the chair. Keep those
notes coming, because all of the encouragement lifts his (and our)
spirits!!! — with Cort
Stevens<https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1300282613>
.

7 Hours ago:
Joylyn Johnson <https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=642314846>
Dr. Russell was just here. He confirmed again that everything is going
really well and reassured Cort that his heart tolerated the surgery well.
They are going to change the catheter in his neck to a smaller line, and
then Cort is to rest for the rest of the day. He is already using the
little breathing thing (I have NO idea what they are called) to work on
expanding is lungs, but Dr. said that his lungs already are looking good.
They will watch his kidney function closely and will be a little slower
than normal getting fluids off him because of his kidneys. He is taking ice
chips already. — with Cort
Stevens<https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1300282613>
.
2 hours ago:
Joylyn Johnson <https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=642314846> Wendy,
dr said out of ICU Monday at the latest I think. The sooner they get him to
the floor, the sooner it will be easier for him to move and walk, and tat
is what they want him to do