[electrobooks] unlucky for some

  • From: "David Russell" <david.russell8@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "freelists electrobooks books" <electrobooks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2009 20:56:54 +0100

Hi folks,

Well, most of us seem to like the book.  Sorry it did not appeal to you Ian.
I have a feeling that Sandra's choice, which will be revealed whenever she
is ready, will make you feel more at home.

When I picked this one, it was mainly because it was highly recommended on
radio 4 by Sophie Hannah, whose detective series I am currently enjoying.  I
did not realise at the time that it was number thirteen, unlucky for Jill
Mcgown, in a thirteen book series.  It was unlucky for her because she died
of cancer before writing number fourteen.  I have found a few more in the
series, so am gradually working my way through them.

So, why did I like it.  I think it bridged the gap between the old-fashioned
"body in the library" Agatha christie kind of detective fiction, and the
more modern Peter Robinson/Elizabeth George type of detection.  It was old
fashioned in plot, but quite modern in presentation and dialogue.  The plot
was certainly complicated, and I got lost once or twice, but it all fitted
together quite well in the end.  I agree with Shell that it could have stood
up well as a stand alone novel, and I look forward to seeing how well the
two police partners got together.

So, I will say more, but await other comments first.

David