[electrobooks] UNLUCKY FOR SOME AGAIN

  • From: "Ian Macrae" <ian.macrae1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <electrobooks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2009 10:01:51 +0100

OK, not even left for Brum yet, but started from where I'd left off - about
thirty eight per cent - and was reminded all over again of the things that had
put me off this book,.  First, I've always had a problem with invented places.
Why did she bother setting the book in Bartonshire?  Why not choose an actual
location?  The characters are, without exception, irritating.  If the ins and
outs of self administering insulin are pertinent to the plot then that's a
contrivance which gets on my wick.  So my trip to Birmingham will be occupied
with finishing the David Peace I'm currently reading and then starting the
latest Mo Hayder.  Certainly her first two are much more my sort of crime
fiction.