[edi581] Re: databases & spreadsheets

  • From: "Sarah Almeter" <sarahalmeter@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: edi581@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 01:37:11 +0000

Hello!  Well on the question of how to use a database with our students I
came up with a few specific ideas for the grade level that I am currently
working with, which is Kindergarten.  I think there are definately less
options at this level, at least with the students that I'm working with,
just because most of the class is just getting familar with the mouse,
rather than the keyboard which is how information would be added to the
database.
     My ideas are as follows
  1.  Students would fill in a pattern that is missing certain items.
  2.  Students would copy their sight words under the specific heading.
  3.  Students would write words that belonged in a particular word family
under the specific heading.  Ex  "OP" words
  4.  Students could keep track of books that they have read.  Putting a "R"
next to the particular title.
   Those are just a few ideas that I liked and I feel would be successful in
my classroom.  I am actually thinking about implementing the fourth one.
This would be extremely helpful to me when attemping to figure out what
student has or has not been sent home with a particular book bag for the
weekend.  I hope these ideas are helpful!!  Have a great break!

   JerryTaylr@xxxxxxx