[edi581] Re: Removing incompetent, tenured teachers

  • From: JerryTaylr@xxxxxxx
  • To: edi581@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2003 13:42:50 EST

Carl wrote:
>How many TENURED teachers can we name who were fired for
>INCOMPETENCE and only incompetence...

I'll admit this WAS a very rare occurrence...in the PAST! But mark my words,
things are changing. Districts are finally taking a more proactive stance and
are starting to weed out incompetent teachers. I know of one district in
particular (which shall remain nameless <g>) that, over the past few years, has
gotten rid of MANY tenured teachers whose skills were less than desirable.
Unfortunately, the usual method that districts employ is to make the teachers'
lives
so miserable that they RESIGN.

(The main reason for this approach is what I already referred to in a message
I posted a week or so ago. Over the course of a teacher's career,
administrators were afraid to give poor teachers negative evaluations.
Consequently, the
teacher builds up a long history of "acceptable" performance. Along comes an
administrator who tries to do her job by "telling it like it is" on the
teacher's evaluation. The teacher pulls out his stack of "good" evaluations,
shows
them to his union rep, and together they claim "harassment.")

So, if the teacher AGREES to resign, then the union has no cause for action.

>Would the Unions back Administrators in the dismissal of teachers who
>had commited [SIC] no other offense than just being very bad teachers.

I hope not. That's NOT the job of a union. The main goal of any union is to
protect the RIGHTS of its members. It's clearly the ADMINISTRATION's job to
initiate the removal of teachers they deem to be incompetent.

(By the way, isn't the correct spelling "COMMITTED"??? <grin> )

Jerry

   JerryTaylr@xxxxxxx