[edi581] Danielle - Plagarism assignment

  • From: "DANIELLE GIANNETTO" <DGIANNETTO@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <edi581@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 13:12:34 -0500

Hello Everyone!

As far as Plagiarism and copyright infringement, and being an English
teacher, I see this a lot.

Just recently my 10th graders were assigned a research project that
lasted the entire first quarter, so it was the majority of their first
quarter grade, and is also a 10th grade curriculum requirement.  When it
comes to research papers, not only do the students not understand citing
their work, but they do not fully understand the idea of plagiarism.  I
personally had 2 of my sophomores fail the first quarter due to
plagiarism even though they went through a class period  in the library
on how to cite correctly. Also, my continuing reiteration about
plagiarism in class every period!  There were also, as of now, 3 others
that have failed the first quarter in other English classes because of
this problem.

This is where I see the most problem because it is not a specific topic
and allows the students to "copy and paste" and think that a teacher
won't notice.  Hmmmmm

I thought this could be avoided by requiring drafts, outlines, and note
cards, but these things were all done in my class, and still there were
problems.  The students actually had class time to do their works cited
page and begin their introductions and their first drafts in class.
This did help eliminate the problems, but it will never stop them.

Most of the writing assignments I assign revolve around things that do
not require too much research and/or allow them to cut and paste or
"steal" other people's ideas.  I also give class time to do first
drafts, and tell them that I will be able to tell the difference between
their "voice" and someone else's voice.  If anything, this is a start!

Second---
(not school related)
Something happened to me in Wal Mart the other day that was very
interesting as far as copyright infringement is concerned, but I didn't
really think about it at the time.  A man in line ahead of me had used
the "do-it-yourself" enlargement machine and was waiting to pay for his
pictures.  The woman at the register told him that he couldn't have the
pictures he enlarged because they were copyrighted.  He got very angry,
but she tried to explain to him that he cannot get pictures
professionally done and then try to copy them.

I suppose the easiest way top fix this problem would be for him to go
back to the place where he got the pictures AND ORDER MORE!!!

Anyway---that was just a coincidence that happened recently.

Will this problem ever go away?  In one of the articles they explained
how we, as teachers, can "check" our students' work to see if they
plagiarized, but this is not only impossible with 137 students, but I am
appalled that it has gone this far.  Hopefully I can find another way to
figure out how to make students WRITE their own thoughts ad ideas on
paper!

Have a great Thanksgiving everyone!
Danielle

                   "This above all to thine own self be true"
                                       William Shakespeare

   JerryTaylr@xxxxxxx