[edi581] Powerpoint Articles

  • From: "livery" <livery@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <edi581@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 23:58:38 -0400

advocates banning the use of PowerPoint for presentations.  He believes they
are used excessively as a means of providing information.  Stewart feels they
don't provide audiences with much variation in particular reference to the way
a presenter plugs in, shows slides, reads bullets, and says, "Thank you" when
the presentation is done.  In Tom's opinions, some audiences become bored with
this type of assembly line use of PowerPoint.  According to Tom's point of view
PowerPoint is "Pointless."
Response: I happen to agree with Tom Stewart to some extent. I think that if
PowerPoint is not used creatively to engage audience interest in the
information it provides, as well as the understandings to be gained, then it
does become rather boring.  However, I disagree that it should be banned. I
believe that adequately prepared presentations can and should be use,
especially those that reflect audience and purpose.
electronic communication such as I-mail and electronic conferencing to
Microsoft's PowerPoint presentation graphics . Creed believes in the use of
digital technology to enhance students learning, however he does not think
PowerPoint is useful for accomplishing such goals.  He thinks that it is too
teacher centered and controlled with particular reference to lectures time and
pace of course material.  Tom feels that it promotes student passivity.  On the
other hand, Creed believes that electric communication is far more student
centered and controlled in terms of students actively engaging and interacting
with technology. They control the learning pace.
Response:  I really don't agree with Tom Creed's point of view regarding the
use of electronic communication over PowerPoint.  I think that either form of
digital technology can be used effectively to enhance student's learning if the
instructional objectives are clear and purposeful.

article written by Tom Creed. Rocklin agrees with Creed that PowerPoint can
support bad bad teaching.  He goes on to say that it can also be used to
enhance students learning.  Rocklin believes that the way PowerPoint and any
available  form of tecnology is used are factors that relate to good and bad
teaching.  He provides an example of how useful PowerPoint was in helping
students by explaing various ways it was used to present, outline, and
graphically visualize concepts and supportive information.
Reaction:  I agree with Tom Rocklin's article, especially when he discussing
the point about how good and bad teaching with any technology depends on how it
instructionally applied by the educator as well as how students interact with
it.

La Rita Ivery

   JerryTaylr@xxxxxxx