[edi581] Jen Loewke assignment #2

  • From: "Jen Loewke" <edi581@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: edi581@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 10:56:41 -0400

Powerpoint No, Cyperspace Yes by Tom Creed:

His main point was that technology has changed teaching, but he looked into
why and how.  He feels that electronic communications have a far better
advantage in the classroom than a simple powerpoint presentation.
Basically, electronic communication is student centered and powerpoint is
teacher centered.  Powerpoint is lectures, expensive equipment, and has an
emphasis on quality of the presentation not the students' learning.
Electronic communication empowers students to interact with the material,
bring in student interest, and uses student knowledge.  My opinion of the
article: How can you compare two very different types of digital software?
One is communication between people whereas the other is communication in a
small setting of people.  His ideas for electronic communications are well
stated and I agree with his theories, but powerpoint can be just as
beneficial in the classroom.  If the teacher knows how to use it properly
and with strong connection to the children, they are doing a good job.  He
seems to think that powerpoint is nothing more that basic slides going
through a person's point of view with passive listeners.  Powerpoint can be
much more than that.

Powerpoint In Not Evil by Tom Rocklin

Mr. Rocklin states a vey opposite idea about powerpoint in the classroom.
Powerpoint is another form of technology in the classroom, just as much as
the traditional blackboard and overhead projectors.  He explores how group
projects can be done from using powerpoint as a teaching tool.  He felt that
other weaknesses in the classroom could be solved by the use of specific
powerpoint slides (time management).  My reaction to this article is good
for Tom Rocklin.  He stated his opinion and proved that using powerpoint
presentations properly can enhance student learning and even interest!
(think of that!)  It is important to note that with anything teachers are
presented with, they need good background information so they can use new
technoligy correctly.  This is one problem I see time and again in my
building.

Ban It Now! by Thomas Stewart

Mr. Stewart is hell bent on banning powerpoint.  His reasons - it's a
monoploy, it's inescapable, it's monotonous, it's intellectually suspect,
it's business television, and it discourages questioning.  Based on these
ideas, he seems to be a anti-company militiant with one purpose - to drive
out monopolizing businesses like Microsoft (just kidding).  He does have
some strong arguments.  First, it is every where!  You go to a conference or
faculty meeting and it's there! Second, it can be monotonous! How many times
have you seen a presentation and all the slides look the same?  Numerous
times here!  Lastly, if used incorrectly by the speaker, it leads to limited
or no questioning of the audience.  This has also been a problem I have
seen.  A person asks a question and the speaker refers back the the slide
already shown.  Nice help there!  Anyway, it was a good article to debate
the issue of powerpoint presentations and I enjoyed reading it.

   JerryTaylr@xxxxxxx