[edi581] PowerPoint Assignment - Lisa Parkhill

  • From: "Lisa Parkhill" <parkhill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <edi581@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 14:37:12 -0400

Summary - PowerPoint No, Cyberspace Yes

Creed's main argument against PowerPoint is that it is used to benefit the =
teacher or presenter  not the student. He believes that PowerPoint =
lectures are teacher controlled which makes the students passive instead =
of active in the learning process.  It does not tell you how well the =
students are "getting" the information and may result in less feedback =
from the students. He makes the statement that presentation graphics are =
about presentation, not about learning.  Instead, Creed believes that =
electronic communication should be used where students have to email, =
comment , and reflect about the learning.  Using this method makes the =
class and the learning more student centered.

Comments/Opinions:
I thought that Creed had some valid points about PowerPoint but ultimately =
it depends on how a teacher uses it in the classroom as to their pedagogica=
l goals.  I do not believe that using PowerPoint is bad teaching!  Some =
general criticisms of his argument are:  1) Most schools and students do =
not have access to computers at school and home where they can email =
feedback, then how do you grade the student who cannot participate in an =
online discussion at home. It is hard enough for some students to find the =
money to buy a binder let alone a computer with internet access.   2) One =
of Creed's goals was for content delivery to be based on student knowledge.=
  I agree , but there is certain content they the teacher has to give them =
in order to participate in discussion (such as the ones that Creed wants =
them to have).  Even when given new content, students can be asked to =
provided their feedback.3) PowerPoint can be multi sensory, having a =
student see a picture of a person can help them remember historical =
figures. =20

Article #2- PowerPoint is not Evil

Summary - Rocklin argues that PowerPoint can be used effectively in the =
classroom by sequencing the information for the students.  Also, PowerPoint=
 presentations can use colors and graphics that can help the students =
remember the content. Teachers can explain the slide to a small group =
instead of showing the entire class.=20

Opinion: I agree with this article, it depends on how the technology is =
used in the classroom and the teacher's techniques that make it "good =
teaching". I think that there is a lot of value in PowerPoint. Being able =
to put a COLOR picture on the screen and asking the students to analyze =
it, or having a student come to the front of the room to explain the slide =
is powerful. You can put charts and graphs on slides and ask them to turn =
to their partner and discuss them or write a journal entry based on =
picture they see. Yes, Powerpoint allows the teacher to control the pace =
but sometimes classrooms need to be structured that way.. please do not =
misunderstand me, I do think the students should be involved too.  In =
social studies I have to give the students a lot of content to learn and I =
have found that PowerPoint has made it more interesting for the students, =
(I have NUMEROUS ones tell me so).  Also, I would love to do interactive =
powerpoints where the students all can be at a computer and traveling =
through the slides at their own pace but when do I come in to help them =
understand the content?

Article #3 Ban it!
Summary- Stewart's argument is that PowerPoint is a monopoly that is out =
to make us all uniform soldiers!  That bullets on slides take out the =
complexity of life.Also, powerpoint deters questioning for the audience.
Opinion: I felt that this article dealt more with the business world than =
the classroom and I found many flaws in this argument. A lot of people are =
visual learners and powerpoint can address that learning style. PowerPoints=
 DO NOT have to be uniform, it is up to the presenter to design it.  Also, =
if someone understands something, they will be MORE involved in discussions=
 and ask questions.=20

Bottom line, I believe that you have to involve students into the =
PowerPoint presentations!

Lisa Parkhill

   JerryTaylr@xxxxxxx