[edi581] Plagiarism assigment (Kelly Ferraro)

  • From: JerryTaylr@xxxxxxx
  • To: edi581@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2003 22:16:57 EST

After reading many of the articles about plagiarism and copyright many things
come to mind.  The first thing I found interesting was the article about how
teachers can stop cheaters.  In the article, they spoke of teachers that
purchased computer programs and other technologies to help them find and catch
cheaters.   As teachers is this something that we should be doing??
Spending our
money and using extra time to run each studentâ??s paper through these programs
to find out they are cheating.  It makes more sense to me to teach student the
importance of being honest and have integrity for their work.
The next section I found interesting was from the â??10 Big Myths about
Copyrightâ??.  It was number 8 at the list.  It says, â??Oh, so copyright
violation isnâ??
t a crime of anything?â??  This I have had experiences with from a very
unlikely
source, ( donâ??t take offence, Jerry) the teachers at Brockport.   As you
may
know I work at the college library.  At the library we offer a service called
E-Reserves which, you may or may not have used.  If you havenâ??t used itâ?¦It
allows teachers to place articles, chapters of book, notes and other materials
on line so students can access them anywhere.   (Kind of like Angel)  Before
the teacher is allowed to put things on Angel they are given a sheet about
copyright.  It talks about the â??fair useâ?? that allows them to place one
article
from each issue of a journal, magazine or newspaper and one chapter from a
book.   If a book is not clearly divided, 10% of the work may be copied.
After the
teacher is given this, when they had in their materials they have to sign a
paper saying that they understand these rules and everything they give us will
pass the copyright laws.   Well, on many occasions my boss has had to call up
a professor and tell them that they broke the copyright laws and they are not
allowed to put some of the material on-line.  A professor making that mistake
once is bad enough but we have a few teachers who like to see how much they
can get away with.
Which leads into number 9 on the list.  "It doesn't hurt anybody -- in fact
it's free advertising."  I think this statement all depends on which side of
the story you are on.  People like getting things for free, however, people
like
to make money off of what they write or publish.

If anyone is interested in checking out the library's page about copyright
here it is

http://www.brockport.edu/~library5/copyright.htm#web

Hope everyone has a great TURKEY day!

Always