[edi581] (EDI 581) Assignment #2

  • From: "Heather Gill" <hgvball@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <edi581@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 14:14:17 -0400

PowerPoint No, Cyberspace Yes
Creed states his strong opinion on PowerPoint in this article.  Creed believes
that PowerPoint aids the presenter (teacher) not the student.  Creed does
believe that electronic communication has potential for enhancing learning,
it's just PowerPoint in his opinion that does not.  Creed believes that
PowerPoint puts the instructor at the center of attention and not the student.
He also believes that PowerPoint gives the teacher complete control on time.
Creed says that students need to use electronic communication so they can
control how much time they spend using it.  Creed also believes that you get
less feedback from students when you use PowerPoint.  Creed points out that
PowerPoint is similar to lecture and we see how much we are trying to shy away
from lecture in the classroom.  Creed says that PowerPoint was designed for
people with something to sell.

Opinion:
I think that Creed made some good and bad points in his article.  I think that
there are many benefits to using PowerPoint in the classroom if done well.  I
think that the results of using PowerPoint depend greatly on the teacher.  I
also do not think that using PowerPoint makes one a bad teacher.  I think that
PowerPoint and Electronic Communication should be mixed into the curriculum and
all will benefit.

PowerPoint Is Not Evil

In this article Rocklin takes on a different point of view from Creed.  Rocklin
tells us that what can be done on PowerPoint can also be done on blackboards,
overheads, flip charts, etc.  Rocklin tells how PowerPoint helps teachers with
organization.  Rocklin knows that PowerPoint isn't perfect, but he also knows
that it can benefit both the teacher and the student.

Opinion:

I think that this article is much better rounded.  It does not just explore one
point of view or say that one particular point of view is right.  Rocklin
simply tells that PowerPoint is not perfect but if used correctly can be an
essential tool in the classroom.  PowerPoint like everything else that teachers
use is a tool.  We should use it appropriately in our classrooms and we will
see the benefits if we do.

Ban It Now!  Friends Don't Let Friends Use PowerPoint

Stewart argues in this article that PowerPoint should be banned because it is
making us all uniformed soldiers.  He says that PowerPoint is a monopoly.
Stewart also argues that PowerPoint is predictable.  He basically says that
once you see one PowerPoint, you've seen them all.  Stewart also says that
PowerPoint stops speakers from having to think for themselves.  He says that
really all the speaker knows is what's printed on the screen.  Stewarts final
argument is that PowerPoint also stops people from questioning.  This is
something that disturbs him greatly.  Stewart leaves us with the thought that
PowerPoint is rare at CEO conferences.  He says that this is because these
people like to see the speaker think not watch him read.

Opinion:

I really think that Stewart goes to an extreme when he says that PowerPoint
should be completely banned.  Again, like I've stated before, if PowerPoint is
used correctly by someone with the right intent, then it is very useful.  I
also think that this article is hard to take in seeing as though it's speaking
of PowerPoint more from a conference point of view rather than a classroom
point of view.  Because of this I don't think Stewart's argument reflects much
on what's going on in today's classrooms.

Heather Gill

   JerryTaylr@xxxxxxx