[edi581] Clifford Stoll Interview

  • From: "diana romeo" <dromeo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: edi581@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 01 Nov 2003 12:09:17 -0500

Class Members,

     Cliffford Stoll, an astronomer, and high tech person, not a high tech
"outsider" by any means, is very critical of computers in American classrooms,
and their cost.
     I was somewhat ambivalent when I read his interview agreeing with some of
his insights and strongly disagreeing with others. His description of computer
rooms replacing art rooms and music rooms suggests, as they say in the legal
profession, "facts not supported by evidence". The logical progression is that
it is the computers which have caused the demise of art and music in the
schools.
    In a time of monetary constraints, there is no doubt that technology has
had a role in this. Obviously the proverbial "pie" can only be cut into so many
pieces. However, as one who loves the Arts, it is my perception that these are
perceived by the large majority of the American public as "frills", which are a
okay, but by no means necessary, if it means spending money. With or without
technology, it is my belief that these would have been cut or drastically
reduced in our schools. I think technology has become as easy "fall guy". One
proof: these programs were being targeted for cuts before large sums of money
were being budgeted for technology.
   I agree with Mr. Stoll that in many schools, taxpayers are not getting full
value out of the huge sums of money being spent on technology. However, this is
not because the concept of implementing them into the educational system in
this magnitude is inherently flawed, but because of the WAY they are being
utilized or perhaps more accurately UNDERUTILIZED.
   I have worked in school districts where the classroom teachers assign power
point and other computer based projects for their students, but are unable to
help them with very simple questions involving the applications.("Go see the
librarian. Go see the Computer teacher.") I must confess that I was one of
these, but at least I have tried to correct the problem by taking this course,
and I am just a substitute.
   As long as technology is underused in schools, it will never justify its
cost. However, we would not destroy a fine automobile, because people did not
know how to drive it properly.
   Keep the computers! Instruct the Instructors!
Carl Romeo

FREE ADHD DVD or CD-Rom (your choice) - click here!
http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;6413623;3807821;f?http://mocda2.com/1/c/563632/131726/311392/311392
AOL users go here:
http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;6413623;3807821;f?http://mocda2.com/1/c/563632/131726/311392/311392
This offer applies to U.S. Residents Only

   JerryTaylr@xxxxxxx