[edi581] C. Stoll readeing

  • From: Kferr88@xxxxxxx
  • To: edi581@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 09 Nov 2003 14:43:47 -0500

    Clifford Stoll is an Astronomer and pioneer Internet user.  After reading
his interview I have mixed feelings about his opinions.  Stoll states, “that
instead of spending time in front of computers, youngsters need interaction
with their peers and teachers.”  I believe that this statement has some
validity to it.  Students do need to learn how to interact with others and
other social skills.  However, becoming familiar with the computer is not a bad
thing.
    Stoll says that it only takes a day or two to learn word processing
computer programs.  This statement may be true, but what is the point of
teaching these programs if you are not going to let the students use them.
    As we have learned in class, the Internet does not have to be used without
commitment, responsibility and inspiring teachers.  Teachers can give students
projects such as webQuests and scavenger hunts where the teacher has previewed
WebPages that the students are going to be viewing.
    When Stoll says that learning was never fun I felt sorry for him that he
did not have teachers that inspired him.

Always
~Kelly Ferraro

   JerryTaylr@xxxxxxx